What to do if You are Stopped for a DUI

If you are suspected of a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) in Colorado, it is essential to handle the situation calmly and responsibly. Here are some steps you can take:

Remain calm and cooperate:

Stay composed and be respectful when interacting with law enforcement officers. Cooperate with their instructions and provide requested documents such as your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.

Exercise your right to remain silent:

It is generally advisable to exercise your right to remain silent. While it’s important to cooperate, you don’t have to answer potentially self-incriminating questions without the presence of an attorney.

Be mindful of your behavior:

Avoid any actions that may be perceived as further impairment, such as sudden movements, slurred speech, or difficulty maintaining balance. These actions could strengthen the case against you.

Field sobriety tests:

In Colorado, you have the right to refuse field sobriety tests, which include walk-and-turn, one-leg stand, and horizontal gaze nystagmus tests. These tests are subjective and can be challenged in court.

Chemical tests:

Colorado has an “expressed consent” law, meaning that by operating a vehicle, you have implicitly consented to chemical testing (blood or breath) if a law enforcement officer has probable cause to suspect impairment. Refusing these tests can result in immediate penalties, including the suspension of your driver’s license.

Consult with a DUI attorney:

If you are charged with a DUI, it is crucial to seek legal representation from an experienced DUI attorney. They can guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and build a strong defense on your behalf.

DMV hearing:

After a DUI arrest, you have a limited amount of time to request a DMV hearing to contest the suspension of your driver’s license. Your attorney can help with this process and represent you at the hearing.

Remember, this advice is not a substitute for legal counsel, and laws can change. Consult with a DUI attorney for personalized guidance based on your specific situation.

If you are in need of legal assistance please contact us

Norml Legal Committee
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100